DESIRES OF AN "IDEAL" MAN vs. AN "IDOL" MAN
According to a survey that I found online, the most desired thing most Americans (men and women) want is more money. Rounding out the list of other desires include the following:
- wanting to look better
- wanting to get a higher paying job
- wanting to save more money
- wanting to be popular
- wanting more free time
- wanting more fun, recreation, and pleasure
- not wanting to be lonely
- wanting to be comfortable
In complete contrast, we read in Abraham 1:2, the desires of Abraham' heart. In just one verse, here are a few desires that he sought after.
- to be a greater follower of righteousness
- to be one who possessed greater knowledge
- to be a father of many nations and a prince of peace,
- to receive instructions and keep the commandments of God
- to become a rightful heir, a High Priest and hold the right belonging to the fathers.
1: And, finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me:
2: I sought for the blessings of the fathers,
3: and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same;
4: having been myself a follower of righteousness,
5: desiring also to be one who possessed great knowledge,
4: and to be a greater follower of righteousness,
5: and to possess a greater knowledge,
6: and to be a father of many nations, a prince of peace,
5: and desiring to receive instructions,
4: and to keep the commandments of God.
3: I became a rightful heir, a High Priest,
2: holding the right belonging to the fathers
1: It was conferred upon me from the fathers."
The center of the chiasm is to be a Father and to be a Prince of Peace. Once again, the reference to Christ who is the IDEAL... the Prince of Peace.
CHARACTER TRAITS OF AN "IDEAL" MAN vs. AN "IDOL" MAN
Unlike the surveys conducted for popular magazines found at the checkout lines at the grocery stores.. which list the qualities an "ideal" man from physical attributes like large muscles, and his possessions from cars, to his job and his income. I've been reading Hugh Nibleys book, Abraham in Egypt. I came across a paragraph that outlines a few characteristics of an "ideal" man using Abraham as the example. This list is complete contrast to what the world considers as the "ideal man".
- He is dependent on God's guidance and mercy...
- He is a pillar of strength to others in time of crisis,
- He is the support of all in time of need,
- He is concerned before all for the care of the poor and the weak.
- He is self-disciplined and good-natured,
- He is utterly devoid of any trace of meanness, arrogance, or covetousness,
- He is kind-hearted and fair to everyone
- He is bold and independent in thought and action
- He has quick intelligence to "solve difficult problems"
- He has a special concern for the helpless,
- He is ever aware that the secret of survival in bad times is working together.
- His hospitality is boundless.
- He wants everybody to be happy in serving God.
- and finally he seeks "not for prosperity but for the salvation of men."
A friend of mine asked me the other day what my greatest desire of my heart is .It is a question that we all should ask ourselves. He sent the below link to this video. I think it is well done. .