photo taken from Temple Square of the new corporate headquarters for Deseret Book and Utah Woolen Mills flagship clothing store on June 23, 2011
The 28th chapter in 2 Nephi is about how many false churches will be built up in the last days. We tend to think that the true church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) is immune from ANY of these bullet points below that describe the awful situation that the religious churches will find themselves. Here are a few of them.
- Every church will say that they are the Lord's church.
- They shall teach with their learning and own understanding.
- They will say that Lord has done his work and now given His power unto men.
- Puffed up in their hearts.
However we read... THEY HAVE ALL GONE OUT OF THE WAY... and become CORRUPTED
- because of pride, false teachers, and false doctrine.
- and they rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries and of their FINE CLOTHING....
- False Doctrine
- Fine Clothing
- Expensive Buildings.
Surely OUR church doesn't fit into any of these categories.
The photo above is taken from the Temple Square. They are new buildings which are part of the church's multi-billion dollar remodel to beautify the surrounding area of the temple. I find the photo to be significant and symbolic.
- Utah Woolen Mills does not sell Fine Clothing. (wait.. what is their tag line seen in the photo)
- Deseret Book does not sell books containing False Doctrine. (wait.. does fictional stories of church history, vampires, or even commentaries by scholars contain any false doctrine?)
- We help the poor ( but wait... is the billions of dollars spent on these LDS buildings better served to adorn our buildings?)
Yes...some things to think about ....but many will think we don't need to worry.. all is well.. JUST FTP!
A biography was recently commissioned by one of our beloved leaders to be written about his life of service. It was then published by Deseret Book and then released during their peak of book sales at General Conference. But since then, sales have slowed. In order to boost sales, each book has now been personally autographed by the leader himself and available at Deseret Book's flagship store across from the SL Temple. If that wasn't enough incentive to purchase the book, a discount ticket to Lagoon, a local amusement park, is given upon purchase. It sound like is would be a great biography since the first line in the book reads.. "He is more Christlike than the rest of us. ...."
The book is now 20% off.