Monday, November 14, 2011

18: DON'T UPSET THE APPLE CART

Here is something I read yesterday. I wrote this in an email to friend who asked if I had any gospel insight for him. Not much insight, but thought I would post what I wrote to him on this blog.

It has to do with Samuel the Lamanite.  As we all know know, Samuel was chosen to be a prophet.. to prophesy, to preach repentance and to warn of the approaching destructions prior to the Lords appearance and ministry. This introduces a change from predominant culture/tradition of the Nephites who previous prevailed in having prophets, seers, and revelators come from amongst themselves and the approved line of authority.  I find it quite interesting that of all places the Lord sends Samuel to preach.. is right in the epicenter of the Nephite religious headquarters in Zarahelma where the Temple was located.  No wonder the Nephites didn’t like Samuel. I mean what credentials did Samuel have? Who was he? He was their enemy.. a Lamanite!

But even still.. the voice of the Lord came unto Samuel and he did what he was asked. We read in Helaman 13: 5…  “Behold, I, Samuel, a Lamanite, do speak the words of the Lord which he doth put into my heart; and behold he hath put it into my heart to say unto this people.” I love that scripture.

But that isn’t really what  I wanted to share… What I really enjoyed reading was one of the fulfillments of Samuels prophesies which was NOT written down by the religious leaders/apostles.  In 3 Nephi 18, the Lord wonders why they did not do so. This is the Lord speaking to Nephi and the other disciples.

Verily I say unto you, I (the Lord) commanded my servant Samuel, the Lamanite, that he should testify unto this people, that at the day that the Father should glorify his name in me that there were many saints who should arise from the dead, and should appear unto many, and should minister unto them. And he said unto them: Was it not so? And his disciples answered him and said: Yea, Lord, Samuel did prophesy according to thy words, and they were all fulfilled. And Jesus said unto them: How be it that ye have not written this thing, that many saints did arise and appear unto many and did minister unto them? And it came to pass that Nephi remembered that this thing had not been written. And it came to pass that Jesus commanded that it should be written; therefore it was written according as he commanded.

So what I find beautiful is that MANY saints arose from the dead.. appeared to MANY and ministered to them. I find that amazing. What a story to tell and to record.. I look forward to reading those records sometime.  J

4 comments:

AndEva said...

Dear Blog Owner,

I have stayed up last night reading everyone of your blog entries. I felt so moved upon by the spirit in the confirming of the truth of what is written. I also feel the same as you express here. I am feeling Godly sorrow today, the depth of the realization of how far we have come from what the Prophet Joseph was given to restore. I hope you will continue to write. I may not be good at comments, but I know this work of helping to wake people and testify of Christ is so important right now. Thank you.
Eva.

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing those things. I had never picked up on some of those points. Very interesting & wonderful realizations!

We must watch & listen for 'Samuels' today, they will come from unexpected places.

Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the saints who "rose from the dead" were just saints that were awakened by what Samuel said and then helped him call the other Nephites to repentance.
I have no idea...just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Also, it's 3 Nephi 23. I just went to check it out :) Thanks for the blog. This blog, Denver Snuffer's Blog and In Mount Zion are really helping me out. Thanks again!