Here are three interesting things that make me scratch my head. I offer no commentary on this. I allow the reader to come to their own conclusions.
Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young and his wife Barb are scheduled to give the keynote address at an upcoming conference promoting acceptance of gays and lesbians in the Mormon Church. The three day conference will be held in Salt Lake City on September 13-15.
The article states the Youngs are committed members of the LDS Church. Barb and Steve are happy to be part of Affirmation’s International Conference, where they hope to lend their voices to the healing work of making our families, our society and our church more welcoming places for our LGBT brothers and sisters.
LINK to the KSL article
BOY SCOUTS CAN NOW EARN THE THOMAS S MONSON AWARD
The Thomas S. Monson award may be earned by youth and adults of all ages. It will be introduced at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree, and will then be available for others to receive after July 2013. Pre-orders are accepted immediately, and will be shipped August 1, 2013. To earn the Thomas S. Monson Award, complete the following two requirements and at least four electives.
1. Read “100 Years of Scouting in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” which is included on this card. With your family or a Scout leader, discuss two things you learned from this history.
2. Read “Run, Boy, Run,” which is included on this card, and write your feelings about this story in your journal.
1. Complete at least two requirements toward earning the Genealogy merit badge.
2. Complete at least two requirements toward earning the Family Life merit badge.
3. Memorize the thirteenth article of faith, and discuss with your family or a leader how this article of faith and the Scout Law support each other.
4. Meet two youth outside of your area and discuss with them how Scouting has benefited your life or the life of a Scout you know.
5. Share your feelings about doing your duty to God with your family, a friend of another faith, or a leader.
http://ldsbsa.org/lds-bsa-centennial/thomas-s-monson-award/LINK to the award
TWO NEW BOOKS ANNOUNCED IN TIME FOR GENERAL CONFERENCE
A new illustrated book with the teachings and stories told by Thomas S Monson during 50 years as an apostle and prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is titled
“Consider The Blessings: True Accounts of God’s Hand in Our Lives” . This book is scheduled to be released just in time for October General Conference..
The other book is titled “I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Erying,” due out in the fall as well. This is the biography of President Henry B. Eyring, first counselor in the LDS Church's First Presidency.
LINK to the Deseret News article