Before I post a photo of this year’s Fall Equinox (since I’ve received some criticism for only posting photos from hikes), I thought I would share two interesting recent developments about the LDS Church.
In a recent City Council meeting held on August 18, 2026, in Heber City, Utah, Steve Waldrip from the Utah Governor’s Office and Tony Kohler, Community Development Director, presented Utah housing plans and legislation. It was announced in this meeting that the LDS Church plans to close 84 to 85 of its chapels along the east side of the Salt Lake Valley.
Here’s the link, with the timestamp around 1 hour and 43 minutes:
https://hebercityut.portal.civicclerk.com/event/535/media
"At the (Utah) state level, we haven't been very focused on this and we're seeing the impacts of that. And again, I'm more familiar with sort of the Wasatch front impacts right now, where you have school closures happening at a massive scale. The LDS Church is closing 84, 85, meeting houses on the east side of the Salt Lake Valley. No. At once, in a very short period of time."
-----------------------------------------
and then there is this:Mormon Church Expands Its Real Estate Empire With 1,000-Acre Development Near Denver
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), through its real estate investment arm Property Reserve Inc. (PRI), is developing a large master-planned residential community called Tributary in Aurora, Colorado.
Up to about 4,859 housing units, including single-family homes (roughly 435 acres designated for this) and multifamily/rental units (about 58 acres). Once fully built out, it is expected to house more than 12,000 residents. Plans include commercial and retail areas (including a King Soopers-anchored retail center), multiple parks and open spaces, trails, a recreation center, a school, a fire station, and mixed-use commercial spaces. Water service is planned to come from the City of Aurora. ------
Go figure: From closing down churchs to building up real estate developments
No comments:
Post a Comment